Thursday, September 10, 2009

Narcissistic Parent: Collateral Damage

Today I would like to speak a little about being the child of a narcissistic parent. Primarily I have gotten some letters from adult children of narcissistic parents. Narcissistic personality disorder is along the lines of borderline personality disorder. Essentially, in this disorder, the person is extremely superiority oriented, and has difficulty receiving any kind of criticism. They think of themselves as better than anyone else. Very self-centred, self-involved, in a very extreme way. We all have self-involved ways of being, but this is an extreme sort of way of being. It's very volatile; it's dramatic, emotional, you never know what's coming at them; the person's up, they're down, they're depressed, they're screaming, they're yelling; their problems are the centre; their emotions are the centre of the room, and nobody else's emotions or feelings really matter to that person very much. They have a real difficult time in relationships. They feel victimized usually. They feel basically that their needs, their wants, their experience, are the only things that matters. They have a really tough time empathizing with others, and in my field, the ability to empathize and have compassion for another person indicates a person coming into mental, emotional, and spiritual health.
So I want to address being the child of a narcissistic parent. As you can imagine, what I'm describing this is extremely difficult. And these people, children of narcissists, generally feel there's always something missing within them. Not only that, they're looking for their self—where is their self? They've been surrounded by either one or two parents—usually a narcissist will attract another narcissist, interestingly enough—and it is a perpetuating cycle. But these are people who have grown up not knowing what their feelings are. They have always experienced the environment with the parent's feelings as the most important thing, and their own feelings have taken a back seat. So children of narcissists feel like the outsiders in their own families. They're people-pleasers. They sometimes sabotage their own self in order to please others, as you can imagine the pattern of the parent being the most important person in the room. They're not interested really in taking care of themselves, because the kid has realized that in order to get some attention, some affection, some something, they're going to have to play the game of the narcissistic parent. So in order to fit into that particular model, they've got to do whatever is right for the parent. And usually that means that they completely lose their sense of what is right for them, and they grow up as individuals in the adult world, in relationships, often either completely lost in terms of their own needs, or they themselves become narcissistic in a bid to survive, and in a bid to find some sort of voice, so the only way they know how to do that is by imitation of the narcissistic parent.
Often the narcissistic parent will mock the child, as they are having feelings, or interrupt the child as they're speaking, so the child of the narcissist will often feel like they can never get a word in edgewise, they can never feel heard, they can never feel seen. It is very painful—frankly, these people call themselves survivors, survivors of the narcissistic parent. It is very, very painful, and I really want to acknowledge everyone out there who has been the child of the narcissistic parent or parents.
You have to watch for a few things. Number one, you have to watch that you yourself are not attracting into your relationships narcissists as well. Because, as I've stated in other videos, we tend to repeat and mirror in our adult relationships our parental issues, in a bid to resolve them, in a bid to fix them in some way, in a bid to understand them. So watch that you're not bringing into your life other personality disorders that are similar to your parents'. And also watch that you yourself are not becoming narcissistic—become aware. So a lot of the tools to handle all of this would be, as an adult, realize that you no longer have to be at the mercy of your parents' narcissistic whims and narcissistic ways of being. You can start to shut that piece off inside you with awareness, and be very present, and in the moment within you, so that you say to yourself, “Am I being reasonable in this fight? Or am I being overly demanding? Or am I in a relationship that is just like my mother and father?” And if so, take stock. I encourage you to begin to write a journal and note-take, as you notice everything around you, and ask, are you yourself narcissistic? Or are you in a relationship with a narcissist, or are you suffering from the results, the ravages in the form of depression, in the form of not knowing yourself, not knowing your voice, not knowing who you are, not knowing what it is you need and want in your relationships? And begin very slowly to whisper those clear needs and wants within you. Soon, those needs and wants will become louder. But they'll become louder in a more balanced way. Because self-acknowledgment is the beginning of healing. Self-compassion, self-love, self-empathy is the real beginning of healing. So that is what I want you to really work on. And I just want to say that I have a lot of compassion for you.

2 comments:

baberuth said...

I always knew something was just not right and I now know that my mother has NPD. We didn't get along well during my teen years but I learned to tolerate her in my early 20's. Somewhere between my college years and early parenting years she won the war and I can now see I was becoming very much like her and, in turn, we got along well. I have lived away from my hometown since I left college always having the desire to "get away". Because of that I haven't had to be with her except for visits, holidays etc...Through raising my own children I discovered what unconditional love truly meant. Throughout the years I have been able to observe her behavior from "afar" and after my father died it became even more obvious. I know have most of my answers...I see who she is and know I am not going to be able to change her...The buck WILL stop here...I have scars and pain but I will not repeat this in my family. I could write a book about my trials...while at 22 years old I only weighed 78 lbs and she didn't even get it~My problem now is it will not be long that I will have to assume the responsibility of caretaker...she's 81, eyesight is failing, starting to "wear down" and when can't work any longer she'll have to move in with me and my family. My brother will never accept this responsibility for he himself is narcissistic. My questions are now that I am aware of this, understand it and know I can't fix her or help her how do I live with her...we can't live together. Both my mother and brother still see me as a child. My mother requires "male" attention and even when she comes for the holidays she has to try to take over my place within the house (and kitchen) so she'll receive the praise for the meals etc...She also really "sucks" up to my husband which I just find altogether "weird"...I need help...my time is running out. Sad but true unless she has a major heart attack or stroke she will be in my home "reinventing" the wheel...HELP!

Canadian Dude said...

I also have lived the life. One sister, the first scapegoat, attempted suicide several times until she suceeded. Another sister, the golden child, also attempted suicide and failed. Another sister, the second scapegoat, is estranged from the family and has gone no contact and suffers from serious depression. I am the third scapegoat. I took on that role when i disclosed that my mothers brother molested my childhood friend, she never told anyone.

It is truly amazing that my mother nor father realize that it is they who screwed us all up. To have two kids attempt suicide should have been a big clue.

My mother still blames my now dead sister for her inability to be a good parent. She disowned her several times, had her kids taken away, i never heard a good word spoken about her.

However, when my sister was found dead hanging from a rope in her apartment, my mom went on a 2 year greiving marathon, it made me sick to my stomach. A house that never had pictures of her was filled with them and became a shrine of sorts. She would never shut up about it and wore her greif on her sleeve.

But now, 7 years later, now that nobody is watching or asking anymore, whenver my mom screws up she goes off about how it is all my dead sisters fault.

I am going to go no contact now that i realize who she is, and that she will never change. I always attributed her fixation on how i am some loser son that can get nothing right to that she just didnt know how i really live. However a recent conversation i had with her where she accused my girlfriend of being a liar and that i only call to brag sent me searching for answers and the answer is most definitely that she is a full blown narcissist. Every description of a narcissistic mother describes my childhood to a tee.

If you are reading this because you have a narcissitic parent take my advice and unplug right away. You will never impress her. She will never come around. Your attempts to show that you are a good person will only result in her trying to set you up to fail, either by sabotaging your relationships with friends and family, or bynhaving your children taken away.

I have lost jobs, had a broken engagement, lost girlfriends, had family members think that im inches from skid row, been forced to be homeless at 17 (i was kicked out, and when i applied for welfare to finish school, she told them i could come home and told me i couldnt) and i have been on the receiving end of millions of put downs both to my face and behind my back.

Do not waste your energy. I wasted the last 16 years trying to just be treated like a normal person and nothing has changed since i was 13.